I’m new to video editing, but starting to have fun with it. The learning never stops!
I recently got my first macro lens, and it’s very cool to see things so much larger than life. IRL this head is about 1 inch wide.
This is the gum color ☂️ I keep my paints in little bottles with a glass bead inside for easy mixing when the paint separates. ?
This is my favorite part! The details are always the most satisfying. Each tooth is about an eighth of an inch wide.
Painting blacklight puppets at the Center for Puppetry Arts. Their new production, Harold and the Purple Crayon, is based on a book by Crockett Johnson, adaptation by John Ludwig. Puppets designed by Jason Hines.
Brushing a darker tone into the details and rubbing away the excess ?
I save my old T-shirt’s to cut up and reuse as paint rags. Paper towels rip and leave annoying fibers behind, but old T-shirt’s don’t.
Just finished casting all the core forms for this double cast toy. Colorways will be pink and purple, with lots of sparkles. Stay tuned!
Sneak peek of what I’m working on at the Center for Puppetry Arts. Sculpted in monster clay, molded in plaster, cast in neoprene.
Pouring the second half of a mold. I mix the silicone twice, transferring it into a clean cup to get a thorough mix. Not pictured, I use a vacuum chamber to pull air out of the silicone before pouring. I’ll be pressure casting later, so this step is important. Casting under pressure crushes trapped air, forcing resin into tiny details, allowing clear resin to cure bubble free. If any bubbles are left in the mold, pressure casting will cause it to deform wherever there are voids. Science magic!
Adding subtle paint details: thin washes of gold, silver, red, purple, and blue. The new ghost chameleon pigment I’m using looks different depending on how the light hits it. It’s transparent, showing the most dramatic color shifts when layered over black. With just the chameleon paint, the details were hard to see, so I’m also adding lighter areas with tinted metallics to create greater depth.
Gold, green, blue, purple. ? I sculpted epoxy clay over a wood sphere using the tools in the last photo.
The planet itself is a premade wood sphere. I made a pattern for the ring system out of chip board, checking the size and fit against the sphere. After sculpting the rings out of clay, I made a mold and pressure cast translucent purple tinted resin with laser glitter. The cast is stretchy for the first few hours after casting, allowing me to fit it precisely on the planet. The planet was painted with a supershift chameleon pigment that looks different depending on how the light hits it.
I started with a 2D design by Jeremy Villines. I converted it into a 3d pattern in cardboard. We used the template to make a plexiglass mold and slush cast the tinted resin in layers. The plexiglass molds for the full crystals were built from 82 pieces! The exhibit is up all year at the Center for Puppetry Arts.
Painting silver/gold accents on this Stardust Dreamer. All those dreamy lumps and bumps. This step takes hours.