Mold Surgery

posted in: process | 0

Performing surgery on a new mold. I created registration keys by cutting a zigzag into the outer edges. This helps the two parts line up more accurately for casting. I used a weitlaner retractor to hold the silicone open while I cut towards the inside, straightening out the seam as I got closer to the sculpt. It can be a bit tricky. The key is knowing where the edges of the sculpt are so that I’m not cutting totally blind. I usually take a picture of the mold set up before pouring so I have something to reference when I cut. I get better at it each time!

Stardust Dreamer

posted in: process | 0

Painting silver/gold accents on this Stardust Dreamer. All those dreamy lumps and bumps. This step takes hours.

Painting silver/gold accents on this Stardust Dreamer. 🌓All those dreamy lumps and bumps.⚡️This step takes hours.

Posted by Rachel De Urioste on Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Casting another Dreamer.

posted in: process | 0

Casting another Dreamer. I slush cast them with multiple pours of resin and use epoxy clay to reinforce the back.

Posted by Rachel De Urioste on Tuesday, July 10, 2018

I slush cast them with multiple pours of resin and use epoxy clay to reinforce the back.

Royal Order of Water Buffaloes

posted in: process | 0

Here’s a shot of the finished edition of 21 plaques. There’s something satisfying about all the repetition, both visually and in terms of the process. Working in multiples forces me to refine my techniques into easily duplicated steps. It’s a puzzle of sorts, where the outcome is both predictable and surprising.

 

1 2 3 4