To build the tiny rocket, I started by sculpting the body and fins separately. I carved notches in the body to recess the fins and make a stronger connection. After painting, I finished it with a matte varnish and a drop of high gloss in the window.
Gold, green, blue, purple. 🌖 I sculpted epoxy clay over a wood sphere using the tools in the last photo.
The planet itself is a premade wood sphere. I made a pattern for the ring system out of chip board, checking the size and fit against the sphere. After sculpting the rings out of clay, I made a mold and pressure cast translucent purple tinted resin with laser glitter. The cast is stretchy for the first few hours after casting, allowing me to fit it precisely on the planet. The planet was painted with a supershift chameleon pigment that looks different depending on how the light hits it.
For sale at the Wonder Goblin webstore. I started with a wire armature, built up the form with paper and tape, then sculpted on top with epoxy clay. Swipe to see the layers!
Check out these photos @wondergoblin took of the Mega Galactic Void! At 11 AM ET today the Void goes on sale in the Wonder Goblin webshop with all the unsold inventory from the Kaiju Cult art toy show. Set your alarms! 👁⏱
At a towering 15 inches tall, the Mega Galactic Void is on view tonight only at @facetgallery for the Kaiju Art Toy Extravaganza. There’s going to be crazy monster art by 50+ artists along with Japanese snacks, a cash donation bar, and a screening of Godzilla afterwards at the Plaza. Hope to see you there!
Save the date—Sept 22 at Facet Gallery 7-10 pm.
I usually work on more complex sculptures like this in separate pieces to start with. I keep them separate as long as possible so that the painting/ finishing process is easier. It’s always satisfying to get to the last step, when I can finally see the sculpture as a finished whole.
This is my first time using color change flakes–I can’t wait to see how it looks after the clear coat!
I’ll sand it smooth and refine the details once the Magic Sculpt cures.
I started out with a wire armature, then built up the form with epoxy clay. I textured the top part of the caulizombie by pressing the sculpture into a mold I created from real cauliflower. After the final details were formed, I finished the sculpt with acrylic paint and varnish.